FIELD POST #2: Virtual Meeting with the Mentees
Last Friday, 03/13, I had a facetime meeting with Adi and Deborah. This was the first time I had spoken with Adi after meeting him at the YARI convening meeting. Prior to this, we've been exchanging emails back and forth discussing about updates regarding their research question as well as deliverables. They're very quick to respond to emails which is good.
Adi and Deborah seem to have a good working relationship which makes communication easier. In some way, they also know what they want for their project and it's very refreshing just getting to know them as they talk about their past experiences and why they want to do their chosen topic.
We spent some time discussing about how to refine their research question. But I think bulk of the time was spent about us exchanging ideas (or me listening to them) on what research methodologies they want to use for their research.
They talked about the following:
1. Interviews - she wants to interview teachers
2. Survey - both teachers and students
3. Autoethnography
4. Data through online resources
As they were discussing how they want to conduct their research, I kept thinking as to how many respondents they would need to have for their research project. How many teachers would be enough to get valuable information/ data? How many respondents would they need to survey? Most importantly, what is the process for them to be able to go to schools and conduct these interviews to teachers and students? I know that based on the previous class we had, we discussed about forms and/or permission slips, etc. that need to be done. Unfortunately, I don't have an idea on how these things work. I told my mentees to ask help and assistance from their advisers from MET as they might have a better idea on how to go about these things.
That's where we left things off, to get more information on the respondents they would need to have for their project and to find out the processes and steps that we need to take in order to do those methodologies in schools. They are excited to work on it and to get some answers, I just hope that we would actually have the right resources and support to make it happen.
Adi and Deborah seem to have a good working relationship which makes communication easier. In some way, they also know what they want for their project and it's very refreshing just getting to know them as they talk about their past experiences and why they want to do their chosen topic.
We spent some time discussing about how to refine their research question. But I think bulk of the time was spent about us exchanging ideas (or me listening to them) on what research methodologies they want to use for their research.
They talked about the following:
1. Interviews - she wants to interview teachers
2. Survey - both teachers and students
3. Autoethnography
4. Data through online resources
As they were discussing how they want to conduct their research, I kept thinking as to how many respondents they would need to have for their research project. How many teachers would be enough to get valuable information/ data? How many respondents would they need to survey? Most importantly, what is the process for them to be able to go to schools and conduct these interviews to teachers and students? I know that based on the previous class we had, we discussed about forms and/or permission slips, etc. that need to be done. Unfortunately, I don't have an idea on how these things work. I told my mentees to ask help and assistance from their advisers from MET as they might have a better idea on how to go about these things.
That's where we left things off, to get more information on the respondents they would need to have for their project and to find out the processes and steps that we need to take in order to do those methodologies in schools. They are excited to work on it and to get some answers, I just hope that we would actually have the right resources and support to make it happen.
Comments
Post a Comment